Home About Policies Reviews Features

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

(Review) The Boyfriend App by Katie Sise

Title: The Boyfriend App
Author: Katie Sise
Published: April 30, 2013 (Balzer & Bray)
Rating: Stay Up 'til 2 AM
Format: Hardcover, borrowed from the library
Summary: In The Boyfriend App by Katie Sise, super-smart, somewhat geeky Audrey McCarthy can’t wait to get out of high school. Her father’s death and the transformation of her one-time BFF, Blake Dawkins, into her worst nightmare have her longing for the new start college will bring.

But college takes money. So Audrey decides she has to win the competition for the best app designed by a high schooler—and the $200,000 that comes with it. She develops something she calls the Boyfriend App, and suddenly she’s the talk of the school and getting kissed by the hottest boys around. But can the Boyfriend App bring Audrey true love?
I was pleasantly surprised by The Boyfriend App! I went in expecting a fun pool-side read. And it was definitely that! Even if it wound up causing me to spend way too much time indoors for a short period of time after said pool adventure. But it was actually so much more than fluff!

The Boyfriend App totally drew me into the story! I felt like I was living right alongside Audrey. And honestly, I don't even have any reasons to explain how or why. I guess I just related to Audrey that much, especially in the first half. I never wanted to put it down. It was so refreshing to have a smart and nerdy main character who was unashamed of who she was, who was so attached to her computer (which she built herself) that she named it Hector. I want more of those! I loved reading about all her fellow "trogs" (her group of fellow, talented computer-loving friends), especially Aidan.

You guys, Aidan gave me ALL THE SWOONS. He was just so. freaking. adorable. I can't even stand it. He was so normal and geeky and sweet, and I was rooting for Audrey and him so hard. There were a couple moments in their interactions where I was just like YES. Because Katie Sise captured all the awkward passion that comes along with a huge teenage crush, and the freaking out that commences when you think your feelings are actually returned. Because friends, being a teenager with a crush is dramatic, okay! I could totally relate to Audrey in those moments.

Another thing I really enjoyed about The Boyfriend App was Audrey's cousin, Lindsay. I liked her vibrancy as a character. She was also a very successful fashion blogger, and it was so great to read about followers and Twitter, dealt with in a realistic manner! She mentioned things we bloggers deal with every day (though obviously to a much larger scale than most of us are used to). I loved that element! I think that was another thing that helped me connect to the book more.

I did have some problems with Audrey's behavior later in the book. She did some things I did not quite understand, and her reasons were never really fully explained. I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll just leave it at that. Regardless, she did redeem herself to an extent, so that was good. There were also some crazypants happenings and a few dramatics. But in the end, the positives far outweighed the negatives.

Basically, even though there were a couple small issues, I loved this book. Trogs for the win!
I tried to smile back, but my facial muscles weren’t really working right because they were trying so hard not to freak out.

“Thanks,” I said, mentally filing the details of the parent/child bowling league my mom and I played during sophomore year in a folder marked THINGS YOU DON’T EVEN TELL YOUR THERAPIST.

No comments:

Post a Comment