Home About Policies Reviews Features

Thursday, January 2, 2014

2013 End of the Year Bookish Survey

best books 2013 end of year survey

It's that time of year again! Can you believe 2013 is over? Here is a round up of  some of our favorite books in different categories. Just for the record, this does not count re-reads! Only books originally read in 2013.

Best YA book 2013


1. Best Book You Read In 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)
Racquel: 
Contemporary YA:  by
Historical Fantasy YA: by
Paranormal (historical) YA: by
Sci-fi: by
Historical romance: by
Contemporary romance: by

As you can see, I read a lot of different genres so I had to break it down since it's kind of impossible to pick ONE favorite when I read so many different things.

Sharon:  Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi. (I CANNOT BELIEVE I actually just answered that with one book. Someone alert Guinness Book of World Records. Also, you're probably going to see that one a LOT more over the course of this survey. I will do my best to add some variety, but I'm sure it will still pop up from time to time. It was, after all, the only book I rated 5 full stars this year.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
R: by by Jennifer Echols is a favorite author of mine so I SHOULD have loved  but it just didn't work for me. As for , EVERYONE loved it but I found the book to be short and weak.

S: The Vincent Boys by Abbi Glines. This book sounded like it was right up my alley, but I was disappointed in just about every aspect of the entire book.
 3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013? 
R: by I bought this on a random whim because of the kissing cover without having heard about it and I LOVED IT!

S:  Of Poseidon by Anna Banks. I wasn't even sure if I was going to like this book, and even though it had a few flaws, I absolutely LOVED it.
 4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?
R:  by 

S:  Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. There are a few really close contenders for this spot, but I think Fangirl probably takes it. I could not shut up about that book!
 5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
R: 
YA: Infernal Devcices series by 

Romance: The Highland Pleasures series by

S:  The Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning. No doubt.
 6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
R: Highland Pleasures series. OBSESSED I tell you!!

S: Rainbow Rowell
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
R: by Ok this is contemporary YA so it's not really a new genre from BUT the main character is 14-15 years old and I don't read young YA AND this book deals with parallel universes. Yeah. That's outside everyone's comfort zone!!

S: He's Gone by Deb Caletti. This one was definitely outside my normal genre. I already knew I loved Deb Caletti's writing, though, so that's why I went for it. It was worth the venture, too! Also, On the Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves.
 8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
R: I don't really read "thrilling" books but a book I couldn't put down? Quite a few books fit this description. If it's a favorite, it was unputdownable!

S: Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi.
 9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
R:  twice. Reread  once. The Leopard Prince once.)

S: Well, Unravel Me (which I will DEFINITELY be re-reading again before Ignite Me) aside, I would have to say Fangirl.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
R: by

S: This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales
11. Most memorable character in 2013? 
R: Leah from Dirty Red because the book is told from her POV but she's actually the evil villain in the series. No joke.

S: Z from Lover Awakened by J.R. Ward
 12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
R: The writing in The Story Guy by Mary Ann Rivers was something else.

S: Say it with me: Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi.
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013? 
R: The  series by 

S: Well, that really depends what TYPE of impact you're going for. Swooning? Crying? Memorable? Overall, it would probably be a tie between Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning and Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi.
 14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read? 
R:  because it's been on my TBR for years. Also, I finally read .

S: Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta. I am SO GLAD I read this one! It was stunning. (Honorable mention to Flowers from the Storm by Laura Kinsale).
 15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?
R:  
“And now I need you to do for me what I cannot do for myself. For you to be my eyes when I do not have them. For you to be my hands when I cannot use my own. For you to be my heart when mine is done beating.”  by

This quote made me FULL OUT SOB. Like, ugly "WHYYYY" crying. Just reading this quote randomly makes me tear up. Seriously, this quote ruins me. JEM AND WILL FO'EVAAAAAAAAAAA.

S: As many of you probably know, I'm a quote FANATIC. So I will be honest and disclose that I did not, in fact, wade through the 30 pages of quotes I have saved from all the books I read this year. I really just picked the first one I saw that I knew was absolutely one of my favorites of the year. I just love the simple, beautiful truth of it.
Fun is everywhere. You just have to find it. Or make it. — Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe by Shelley Coriell
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
R:  Longest at 870 pages: by

S: Shortest: Fracture Me by Tahereh Mafi (68 pages)
Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning. (608 pages)

 17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
R: by (Sharon understands). I read spoilers like no body's business so I ALWAYS see a twist coming but  punched me in the face with its twist and good thing I was reading it with Sharon so I was able to freak out with her. 

S: Things I Can't Forget by Miranda Kenneally. Not in a good way, though.

LET ME TELL YOU how much it would have been No Good Duke Goes Unpunished by Sarah MacLean if the ARC had actually contained the bombshell dropped in the finished copy. Instead, I got to flip out about it with Racquel when SHE texted me about it, figuring I would know what she was talking about. Fun times.

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
R:
-Friendship:

-Romance:
  • Will and Tessa and Jem (best love triangle EVER)
  • Adrian and Sydney from Bloodlines series by Richelle Mead

-I loved the family stuff in:

S: Honestly, I could not even BEGIN to tell you who my #1 romantic couple was this year. I had several absolutely epic couples whom I adored beyond belief. But the award for my favorite familial relationship definitely goes to the O'Neil clan in Sleigh Bells in the Snow by Sarah Morgan. LOVE THEM SO MUCH.

19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
R: Liz Flaherty's Because of Joe and a Soft Place to Fall did not let me down!

S: Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas

20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
R: Secret for a Song — Amber Lin
Unsticky — Heather & Sarah
A Lady Awakened — Ruthie Knox

S: Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo. I actually didn't think I would like it much, but I was convinced by Judith at Paper Riot to read it. I LOVE YOU, JUDITH.
21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?
R: Historical romance? Out of 130 books read, I read 39 historical romance books. That's not counting rereads which would make that number 45+.
S: Historical romance! Contemporary YA and contemporary adult romance were close behind, though!
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
R: Jem and Will from Infernal Devcices series by 
Harry Pye from The Leopard Prince.
Everyone from the The Highland Pleasures series by 
S: The newest newest fictional crush? Daniel from Married for Christmas by Noelle Adams.
23. Best 2013 debut you read?
R:
S: The Boyfriend App by Katie Sise.
24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
R: by PARALLEL UNIVERSE!
S: The Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning. But The Grisha is a very close second!
25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?
R:
S: It Happened One Night by Julie Anne Long. Reading this book was SO MUCH FUN. I was grinning or laughing constantly.
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?
R:  by — WATERFALLS
by — Again, I spent the last quarter of the book crying
S: Waiting by Carol Lynch Williams. With the exception of Deathly Hallows, I don't think I've ever cried that much at another book EVER. MY HEART. I don't think I fully recovered for a week.

27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?
R: by
S: Shut Out by Kody Keplinger. I just feel like this one frequently gets overlooked in favor of The DUFF, which I honestly didn't like as much.

2014-books


1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?
R: These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner 
S: The Fiery Heart by Richelle Mead.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?
R: It Happened One Wedding by Julie James 
S: IGNITE ME IGNITE ME IGNITE ME IGNITE ME. (Shut up. I almost increased this to a size like 80 font. Because it's Ignite Me. And my feelings refuse to be contained. And to be fair, my enthusiasm for this one is pretty much tied with #4. They just happen to both fit in both categories, so I put one in each.)
3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
R: Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira
S: Wish You Were Italian by Kristin Rae. It looks so cute and fun!
 4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?
R: Brown-Eyed Girl by Lisa Kleypas, DUUUH!!! More Travis men OMG!
S: Brown-Eyed Girl by Lisa Kleypas. I have been waiting for this book FOREVER AND EVER.
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?
R: MORE BLOGGING!
S:  I am hoping to branch out a little more in the variety of things I read, as well as my posts. More discussion, for instance. I actually have a couple in draft stage! So it's a possibility, at least.


No comments:

Post a Comment