Home About Policies Reviews Features

Monday, January 6, 2014

Bout of Books 9.0: Goals & Updates

3...2...1...It's BOUT OF BOOKS TIME! Cue quick pre-reading dance party. I'm so pumped to be taking part in Bout of Books 9.0. This is the perfect time to stay inside, wrap up in a blanket, sip a good cup of tea, and get a jump on my 2014 reading goal. Not to mention the challenges. I can't wait to see what's in store this time around! I'm also a Bout of Books expert, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask me here or on Twitter (@starsaloft)!
My Goals for Bout of Books 9.0

   • Read 6 of the following books
   • Discover some awesome new blogs and friends
   • Participate in at least two of the Twitter chats
   • Participate in four or more challenges

Books To Read
   01. Being Sloane Jacobs by Lauren Morrill
   02. The Fiery Heart by Richelle Mead
   03. We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
   04. Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout
   05. The Duchess War by Courtney Milan
   06. Fancy Pants by Cathy Marie Hake
   07. Unteachable by Leah Raeder
   08. Falling into You by Jasinda Wilder

Updates

Monday, 1/6
Books Read Today:
  Completed: We Were Liars by E. Lockhart (240 pages), Being Sloane Jacobs by Lauren Morrill (352 pages)
  In-Progress:
Challenge:
Challenge #01: Bookish Mad Libs
I just read the greatest book!

This guy Ian Eversea ends up in the middle of a fiery conspiracy. Turns out his ancestors were pirates, and he might be the key to finding the Unteachable Earring. It’s a mythic artifact that disappeared centuries ago, and now a shadowy group of queens are looking for it. No one knows what uncovering it might do, but these guys are willing to shatter for it.
I won’t say anything else. But believe me, if you like shady stories with cake and crowns, you have to read this one.


BAHAHA! I haven't read Between the Devil and Ian Eversea yet, but if that's the plot, color me intrigued!

List of books used for the challenge:
Between the Devil and Ian Eversea by Julie Anne Long
The Fiery Heart by Richelle Mead
Unteachable by Leah Raeder
Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracey Chevalier
Queen of Babble by Meg Cabot
Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
Shady Characters by Keith Houston
The Marquess of Cake by Heather Hiestand
Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas

Challenge #02: $100 Book Buying Spree. Here is my list!

Total Books Read: 2
Total Pages Read: 592

Tuesday, 1/7
Books Read Today:
  Completed: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout (358 pages)
  In-Progress: Falling into You by Jasinda Wilder (200 pages)
Challenge: Reading Tactics
How do I read more during Bout of Books? Simple. I prioritize! I combine errands. I make simple meals. I sleep less, if necessary. I limit the amount of time I spend on the computer. Usually, I watch almost no television during BOB, but since I'm in the middle of binge-watching Merlin, that doesn't work so well. So I'm limiting myself to 1 episode a day. I also don't write my reviews until Bout of Books is over. That's about it! Overall, I really just make a more concentrated effort than usual to read during all my free time.
Total Books Read: 3.54
Total Pages Read: 1,150

Wednesday, 1/8
Books Read Today:
  Completed:
  In-Progress: Falling into You by Jasinda Wilder (114 pages)
Challenge: N/A
Total Books Read: 3.85
Total Pages Read: 1,264

Thursday, 1/9
Books Read Today:
  Completed: Falling into You by Jasinda Wilder (55 pages)
  In-Progress: The Duchess War by Courtney Milan (11 pages)
Challenge: N/A
Total Books Read: 4.04
Total Pages Read: 1,330

Friday, 1/10
Books Read Today:
  Completed:
  In-Progress: The Duchess War by Courtney Milan (200 pages)
Challenge: N/A
Total Books Read: 4.70
Total Pages Read: 1,530

Saturday, 1/11
Books Read Today:
  Completed: The Duchess War by Courtney Milan (89 pages), Unteachable by Leah Raeder (356 pages)
  In-Progress:
Challenge:
Total Books Read: 6 (Goal reached! Woo hoo!)
Total Pages Read: 1,975

Sunday, 1/12
Books Read Today:
  Completed:
  In-Progress: The Heiress Effect by Courtney Milan (32 pages)
Challenge: A Bookish Wedding
1. Which fictional character would you marry?
See, in a world where this is possible, you are clearly missing the first step, which would be converting to a religion that allows one to marry multiple people. Because I can't choose just one! For the moment, though, I'll go with Hardy Cates.
2. Who would be your Maid of Honor or Best Man?
Kristy Palmetto from The Truth About Forever would be my maid of honor, because I always thought we would be awesome BFFs.
3. Which fictional world would you want to get married in?
Lucky Harbor! Spindle Cove gives Lucky Harbor a run for its money as my favorite fictional town, but, well, Lucky Harbor has Lucille. And indoor plumbing.
4. Who would you pick to play the music at your wedding?
Phoebe Buffay, obviously!
5. Who would be your photographer?
Most definitely Mac from Vision in White.
6. Who would you sit at the singles table (and hope they'd fall in love)?
Thanks to my current obsession with them, I'd pick Violet and Sebastian from The Duchess War. So much fun dialogue! And they are SO going to fall in love.
7. Who would be your flower girl or ring bearer?
Carrington from Sugar Daddy
8. Who would you want to plan the bachelorette/bachelor party?
As Kristy is my maid of honor, she would get the privilege. And I think she'd do a fabulous job of it!
9. At the wedding, who would be the first on the dance floor?
Me, obviously!
10. Who would give a speech or toast?
I don't care who gives it, but can I hire Tahereh Mafi to write it, pretty please?
11. Who would catch the bouquet or garter?
Jessica Darling because I obviously need her at my wedding, and I think it would be fun.
Total Books Read: 6.10
Total Pages Read: 2,007
The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, January 7th and runs through Sunday, January 13th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure, and the only reading competition is between you and your usual number of books read in a week. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 6.0 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog. - From the Bout of Books Team

No comments:

Post a Comment