Home About Policies Reviews Features

Monday, December 26, 2011

Faves of 2011: The Random

Day Four: The Random
1. Fave first sentence
Racquel's pick: 
Something About You by Julie James
"Thirty thousand hotel rooms in the city of Chicago, and Cameron Lynde managed to find one next door to a couple having a sex marathon.
 I love this! It was a great set up to the plot of the book. Julie James is a genius.
 
Emma's pick:
'Now that I've found the way to fly, which direction should I go into the night?' I love how it links to the recurring line of the Dylan Thomas poem. It makes me wonder how completely magical it would feel if I ever had a reason to utter those words.  
2. Fave book title
Racquel's pick:
Double Clutch by Liz Reinhardt 
Double Clutch means: "A pattern of breathing in which a runner inhales two breaths for every breath exhaled." The way I interpreted it is Brenna has 2 guys after her & she can only choose one. Awesome!
Emma's pick:
I like sweet, short titles. But some words are just odd, and others draw me right in. These three are my favourite by far ♥
3. Fave reading experience (ie: created a great reading memory)
Racquel's pick:
 
 Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Every time Emma & I agree, it's always on VA & are reasons are exactly the same.
Emma's pick:
 Vampire Academy series ~ 
Can I just point out I read this entire series from Friday night til Sunday night? That weekend, I simply lived and breathed Rose and Dmitri. Thought of nothing else, looked at no other thing. When I finished Last Sacrifice, I felt so, so deprived, but there was still that satisfied, elated feeling inside.
4. Book with the best food in it (made you so crazy-envious-hungry)
Racquel's pick:
Moonglass by Jessi Kirby
Anna, her dad & his best friend have Poke-N-Eat days, they go diving, catch goodies and cook on the spot. Fresh sea food straight out the water is DELICIOUS!
Emma's pick:
 Um, lol... I don't know... All the books I read either don't even mention food, contains tasteless meals that are purely for protein and nutritional purposes, or it's just scraps of whatever they find along their journey. Although I have to say, the food in The Hunger Games before the actual 'game' sounds pretty delicious.
5. Book with the most sensual weather (made you shiver/sweat)
Racquel's pick:
Sixteenth Summer by Michelle Dalton
 Again book set in books make me feel like I'm in the beach! I hate the summer, I'm a winter girl but if at a beach, summer becomes my favorite.
Emma's pick:
Even the title says it all... And the fact that the plot relied so much on the cold (or not cold) weather. Every time Sam felt vulnerable, I just wanted to wrap him in a thousand blankets and cuddle with him by a blazing fire.
6. Most embarrassing book cover (feeling sheepish in public or just plain ugly)
Racquel's pick:
Hard Evidence by Pamela Clare
Thank god I read this one as ebook because yikes, there was no way I was leaving my room with a cover like that! it's hot, but not in public xD (P.S. I LOOOVE Julian♥)
Emma's pick:
I kinda miss reading from pages of paper, but I would NOT want to take these books out as lovely as these books are.
7. Can’t believe you waited this long to read the book (!)
Racquel's pick:
Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead 
I waited until the series was complete! That's definitely long! 
Emma's pick:
Okay, it was a little less than a year, but still. I counted down the days until the release date (which I never do) and to my disappointment, it wasn't available as an eBook. My friend had it pre-ordered and promised to lend it to me when it came, but that never happened either! I found it in the school library a week later, and oh, I cried sweet relief!
8. Book you'd give your mum/sister to read
Racquel's pick:
we have definite different book taste! 
Emma's pick:
 Hahahaahahhaha. Neither of them read, so...
9. Book you'd give your dad/brother to read
Racquel's pick:
again, we have definite different book taste!  
Emma's pick:
To my brother, because anything else would be plain awkward. (Although he has read Twilight, and actually liked it.)
10. Book you'd like to give your past-self to read
Racquel's pick:
 IDK...
Emma's pick:
 I don't know if I can really answer this, hahah... but maybe Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List.
11. Book that lived up to (or superseded the hype)
Racquel's pick:
Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
VA went BEYOND hype♥ 
Emma's pick:
Vampire Academy & The Mortal Instruments ~
I waited quite long to read these two series, mainly because I couldn't get a hold of them, but because I didn't want to read it, then wait. But VA is now finished and I picked up City of Bones in the library during English class and couldn't go back! So yes, these two series were amazing, and they definitely superseded the hype!
12. Book you stayed the latest to finish (confess!!!)
Racquel's pick:
There You'll Find Me by Jenny B. Jones
I stayed up until like midnight & I usually can't read past 9 o'clock. I'm an early reader, not a late one.
Emma's pick:
In the holidays, I'm practically nocturnal and do all my reading in the middle of the night. But these two, I stayed up way past 3am (Unearthly - 4am), regardless of the fact that I had school/work the next morning.  
13. Book you were *dying* to get your hands on the most
Racquel's pick:
 Chain Reaction by Simon Elkeles
 I have been dying to read this book since 2 years ago when I knew PC was going to be a trilogy.
Emma's pick:
Yep, as I said before, I feel like I waited so long, I hugged it for the entire day and wouldn't let it go.
14. Fattest brick of a book you read (by page count)
Racquel's pick:
Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead
past 600 pages, definitely a lot! I'm not complaining though;D
Emma's pick:
Everything I read now is on my iPad, so I really wouldn't know. The thickest book I own is definitely The Host at 619 pages.
15. Killer cliffhanger award
Racquel's pick:
 Only the Good Spy Young by Ally Carter
is he alive, dead, guilty, not guilty, who trust?!?! 
Emma's pick:
Agh agh agh!! I stopped breathing at the last page, and it was really quite horrible. The half year wait felt like forever!  

I spent Christmas Eve typing this up. That's just how awesome my life is ;D -Ems 
I love your dedication! You're inspiring<3 -Rac (I can't shorten my name, it sounds like rack which therefore sounds like boobs.)

No comments:

Post a Comment