Home About Policies Reviews Features

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Faves of 2011: The Scenes

Day Three: The Scenes


1. Best first chapter:
Racquel's pick: 
 Virtuosity by Jessica Martinez 
The first thing you read when you start this book is the prologue so I'm using it as a first chapter and in Virtuosity I LOOOOVED how it tied with the end. It was awesome!
Emma's pick:
Really great prologue. It's like a teaser. It gave us a tid bit of information, but enough to make us wonder, 'Wait, I want to know what this is about. Tell me now!' 
2. Best climax
Racquel's pick: 
 Divergent by Veronica Roth
The first part of the book is all nothing special, just training and the not interesting stuff but when the real stuff starts happening in Divergent, it's very exciting.
Emma's pick:
The climax just hits from nowhere. For the first half of the book, it's not too overwhelming, but then, BAM. Time for action boys!
3. Best ending
Racquel's pick: 
Chian Reaction by Simone Elkeles
I will NEVER say no to more Fuentes brothers but Chain Reaction had a perfect ending.
Emma's pick:
I won't ever stop wishing for more, but I think this ended perfectly!
4. Best plot twist/revelation (no spoilers!)
Racquel's pick: 
 Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead
I NEVER saw the identity of who-did-what coming! It was a BIG shocker!
Emma's pick:
After I finished the book, I realized that twist should've been obvious, seeing as I have watched EVERY episode of Stargate Universe. It made me go 'Ohhhhh... of course!'
5. Scariest/most disturbing scene
Racquel's pick: 
Again, I read FUN, entertaining books haha
Emma's pick:
Eep! Clockwork killing machines! I swear I got so scared for the Shadowhunters, my heart stopped beating!
6. Steamiest scene (or sweetest/sexiest kiss award)
Racquel's pick: 
Double Clutch by Liz Reinhardt
Double Clutch puts every YA book to shame. Enough said.

Emma's pick:
Steamy, hah! But I definitely wouldn't categorize this scene as 'sweetest'. 
Oh Patch... I swear, he is the epitome of sexy.
I know there is a bajillion more books I could add to this category, but I cannot think right now! 
7. Best swoon-worthy moment
Racquel's pick: 
There You'll Find Me by Jenny B. Jones
This romance is so swoon worthy, my heart is skipping beats!!
Emma's pick:
Ah, Tucker! I'm sorry I can't say anything about this without spoilers :x
8. Biggest nail-biting moment
Racquel's pick: 
 If I Stay by Gayle Forman
I was on my toes waiting to see what will happen to Mia's family and Adam, so this whole book was a nail biting fest.
Emma's pick:
 I can't decide!
9. Most hilarious scene
Racquel's pick: 
 Ten Things We Did (and Proabbly Shouldn't Have) by Sarah Mlynowski
This WHOLE BOOK was the most hilarious scene.
Emma's pick:
Okay, there's not really a particular scene that I found 'hilarious', but Two-Way Street is one of the few rare contemps that I found myself giggling at. Yes, giggling. (Nice pick Emma! This book is EPIC hilarious, to bad I read it in '09 :p)
10. Most heart-breaking/tear-jerker moment
Racquel's pick: 
 Heartbreaking: Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead
"My heart shattered. My world shattered."
Mine too Rose!
 
Tear-jerker: Moonglass by Jessi Kirby
What can I say? face-to-face confrontations move me.

Emma's pick:
 heartbreaking - Blood Promise
tear-jerker - Last Sacrifice ~
It's all Dmitri, really. One moment I want to cry, the next hit something, and then just throw my iPad across the room because... that poor guy!
BONUS: Favourite meet cute
Racquel's pick: 
 There You'll Find Me by Jenny B. Jones
My grandma says I will find my hubby on a plane. I'm on a plane AT LEAST six times a year, I might dress comfortably in sweats but mind you, they're nice sweats and I never go any place without make-up yet I still haven't found anyone promising on a plane. Finley did though :D you go girlfriend!
Emma's pick:
It even says it in the blurb. It all starts when Nick asks Norah to be his girlfriend for five minutes... They hook up before they even know each other, but why the hell not? The special part of it is that it's not just a one night stand. No way... 

No comments:

Post a Comment