Home About Policies Reviews Features

Thursday, September 5, 2013

|Review| Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare

Published March 19th 2013 by Margaret K. McElderryprince
Genre: historical paranormal YA
Rating: A+
Goodreads summary:
A net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute. Mortmain plans to use his Infernal Devices, an army of pitiless automatons, to destroy the Shadowhunters. He needs only one last item to complete his plan: he needs Tessa Gray.

Charlotte Branwell, head of the London Institute, is desperate to find Mortmain before he strikes. But when Mortmain abducts Tessa, the boys who lay equal claim to her heart, Jem and Will, will do anything to save her. For though Tessa and Jem are now engaged, Will is as much in love with her as ever.

As those who love Tessa rally to rescue her from Mortmain’s clutches, Tessa realizes that the only person who can save her is herself. But can a single girl, even one who can command the power of angels, face down an entire army?

Danger and betrayal, secrets and enchantment, and the tangled threads of love and loss intertwine as the Shadowhunters are pushed to the very brink of destruction in the breathtaking conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy.
What. An. Ending. I mentioned in my mid-year favorites post that  would definitely be in my end of the year favorites list once I read it and YEAH. This book is definitely a favorite because Cassandra Clare just killed it. 

I pretty much sobbed through the last 100 pages. A lot of books make me tear up but ? Full out SOBBING and I pretty much never done that before. A trilogy has never ended more perfectly and hundreds of readers can attest to that. Somehow, Clare manages to equip this book with happiness, heartbreak and every emotion between that spectrum. Bittersweet? That's a real thing and it's this book.

In the Infernal Devices, Clare doesn't just make us fall in love with the main characters, Tessa, Will & Jem, but she makes us fall in love with a whole gang. Charlotte, Henry, Gideon, Gabriel, Sophie, Cecily AND Magnus and reading about these characters and getting to know them and following their story has been such a pleasure. I usually lose interest in a book after reading it for two days but I took my sweeeet time while reading  because I wanted to savor every word of the journey that was coming to an end. I don't want to spoil anything but I will mention that the villain plot came to a pretty great end and the characters personal lives? I'll just say this: UGLY CRYING. I've come a long way from my Clockwork Angel review where I stated how much I hate Will's guts and vowed that nothing will redeem him in my eyes but Clare managed to fully redeem him in Clockwork Prince and by Clockwork Princess? I've come to love him as much as I love Jem and I LOVE Jem. Love love love love love love love him. I'm a Jem girl! I also love Tessa and seeing her kick physical ass in this book? I couldn't be happier.

So this book has the best love triangle that was ever written. Not the best triangle I've read but the best love triangle EVER. Yeah it's that good and that heartwrenching but my favorite thing about this series is Will and Jem's friendship slash parabatai brotherhood which is just so beautiful and so, so, so real. I've never read about two souls who care about each other more than anything in the world and Clare made me believe it. Will and Jem really would do absolutely anything for each other.
“They say you cannot love two people equally at once,” she said. “And perhaps for others that is so. But you and Will—you are not like two ordinary people, two people who might have been jealous of each other, or who would have imagined my love for one of them diminished by my love of the other. You merged your souls when you were both children. I could not have loved Will so much if I had not loved you as well. And I could not love you as I do if I had not loved Will as I did.” 
This quote describes the pair spot-on correctly. Jem and his violin and music and Will and his love for books and their one joined soul just wrecked me and there is a gaping hole in my heart thanks to them (rest assured though, my love for Hardy Cates is still beating strong). Honestly, I'll never be the same after reading this series. That's REALLY dramtic but it's REALLY true.

So I know this isn't a review-review but if you read , you'd understand. This is a hard book to review. There are so many emotions and not enough words to convey them plus, I don't want to spoil anyone who hasn't read it. If you're one of those people, do yourself a favor and read this series. It's worth the investment and time and overall, it's a beautiful and well written trilogy that I will revisit many, many times because I've come to just love these characters so much. Especially my sweet Jem. This is series you need to read because there is a reason so many people love it. It's this simple: The Infernal Devices series is utterly amazing.

Rating: [A+] An epic end to an epic series!
First:
"I'm afraid," said the little girl sitting on the bed.
Favorite:
“And now I need you to do for me what I cannot do for myself. For you to be my eyes when I do not have them. For you to be my hands when I cannot use my own. For you to be my heart when mine is done beating.” 
Just typing this quote for the review makes me sob. Oh my heart. Oh. My. Heart.

Teaser:
“At last, the wheel comes full circle” 
*I actually started crying while looking for these quotes. Guh. I'm a mess. 

No comments:

Post a Comment