Home About Policies Reviews Features

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Thank You Blogging For Helping Me Discover These Fabulous Books

(I didn't know what to title this post lol)
So yesterday I talked about reaching the milestone of blogging for two years and how amazing that is but today I want to talk about the AWESOME BOOKS I discovered specifically because of blogging. These books have become some of my favorite books but really, I'm actually doing this post just because I love recommending books so I always try to find any excuse to talk about my favorite books, ha.

Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe by Shelley Coriell  (my review):
I was always say this because it's true but: If you liked Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins, you'll also like this book. Both books have the same vibe but Chloe is like two hundred times better (I'm not a fan of Lola). Chloe is not your typical YA main character and here is your proof:
I loved being a burrito. Not the actual costume, a stinky ankle-length tube of compressed foam with scratchy shoulder straps. No I loved the physical act of being a burrito- more precisely, of getting people to notice me- and I was good at it.
Everyone wants more diversity in YA. More different sexualities and POC but I don't like saying that. We need diversity in narrators and whether that narrator is gay, latino, popular, happy, confident or whatever, that all falls under diverse narrators. Having a non-white, non-straight character just to be DIFFERENT then the norm doesn't accomplish anything. So yeah, different narrators because who's not tired of the über smart main character who has zero experience with guys and has one friend only who's the opposite of her? I want to see more cheerleaders in YA. More confident girls. Girls who've had multiple relationships (because that happens. Honestly. And those boyfriends don't have to be abusive. HOW SHOCKING!) and we get that with Chloe if that quote is any indication. Just read this book. You'll thank me. It's fun AND moving.

The Lifeguard by Deborah Blumenthal: 
Love me some magical realism! This is not a popular opinion because quite a few people disliked this book but I enjoyed the hell out of it and I've reread it a few times. There was something about the ethereal writing that just sucked me in. This book is a surprising gem so give it a try because you might love it as much as I did and that's A LOT of love.

One More Summer by Liz Flaherty (my review):
This was one emotional, heartbreaking and moving read.
That's what I said in my review and it's true. This book is like in the top three books that shocked me because it packs so much emotional punch. You think you're in for a cute read and bam bam bam the author rips you apart. It's amazing. If you're a contemporary romance fan, give this book a try.

OhMahGawd I love these two books! They're HILARIOUS and HONEST and REAL and AMAZING. If you love realistic fiction then give these two books a try. Keep in my mind though that this is not realistic fiction as in the main-character-has-gone-through-10-million-tragedies-and-now-she's-overcoming-them realistic fiction but this is realistic fiction in the sense that Dom is an average teenager going through average, everyday boring stuff and we get to read about that in these two hilarious books. Some people won't like these books because it seems people don't like a sprinkle of honest in their books but hey, challenge your self to read one of these books with an open mind because Dom is REAL.

There You'll Find Me by Jenny B. Jones (my review):
This is easily one of my top ten favorite books EVER and by far one of the most beautiful and most moving stories that I've ever and will ever read. Plain and simple: if you haven't read this book, you're missing out on one of the best YA contemporaries out there so check yourself and read this book before you wreck yourself because honestly, WHY haven't you read this book yet? (and if you HAVE read this amazing book, you rock! Isn't it an amazing?)

Double Clutch by Liz Reinhardt (my review):
I related SO hard to this book and I think many teens will relate to it too because it just captures high school so well. A really great YA read.

ILOVEDTHISBOOK! It's an NA book but it's quite different than most NAs and... guh. I don't even know what to say. This book is just fucking amazing, take my word for it. Brynn blew me away. She connects these short, one paragraph ghost stories between each chapter to the main story and she does it SO WELL. Pretty much, Where I End and You Begin is about Bianca getting her shit together and Brynn is an amazing storyteller that had me hooked from page one.

On the Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves (my review):
If you haven't read this book then your life is wrong. This went from a self-pubbed book to an international bestseller for A REASON and I'm so glad I got to experience it so early on because I got to see a lot of people fall in love with it too <3

 First Comes Love + Second Chance by Katie Kacvinsky (my review):
These two books are read-in-one-sitting novels that are so just SO real but they're also fun to read. If you like contemporary YA, these two are must reads.
Have you read any of these books? Loved 'em? Hated 'em? Will you be reading them?

No comments:

Post a Comment